Individuals and families fleeing from abuse can find safety and support our 120-bed shelter and residential facility. The Houston Area Women’s Center shelter is at an undisclosed location and supports 24-hour surveillance and security personnel. Clients entering the shelter can expect clean and comfortable amenities and access to a host of programs, resources and support staff. Each client is assigned a case advocate and together they develop safety planning, goal setting and discuss additional community resources so the client may make informed decisions about the future. To promote economic stability and independence, the Career Development Program provides assistance and resources to help each client work towards educational and/or employment goals.
Children and youth are a top priority at the Women's Center. Our dedicated and highly trained children's staff create a safe and comfortable environment that focuses on the needs of each child so they can work through the trauma, develop coping skills and spend time having fun and being a kid again. To remove the barriers of securing childcare, we offer daycare, educational arrangements and after-school programming to ensure mothers can work towards goals, such as counseling, education and employment.
At the shelter clients will find:
- Individual/Group Counseling services for women, youth and children.
- Career Development Program, including skills assessment and training, career planning financial assistance for education.
- Advocacy, resources and referrals provided during individual appointments and weekly meetings.
- Women's and Children's Libraries
- Cafeteria dining serves three nutritious meals each day to all residents.
- Parenting education classes.
- Bench-lined courtyard garden and covered age-appropriate play areas.
- On-site early childhood education and Houston Independent School District classes.
- Children's Enrichment Program providing opportunities for after school education, field trips, summer camps and special events.
If you need emergency shelter, please call the Domestic Violence Hotline 713.528.2121 or
The Sexual Assault Hotline 713.528-RAPE (7273).